Saturday, December 10, 2011

Battle of the Bulge-Going Backwards

Update!!! I have lost 29 lbs as of this morning!!! I'm soooo excited. My rings don't fit. My clothes don't fit. It hasn't even been a month!

It hasn't been an easy week. I'm extremely exhausted. Pneumonia kicks your booty! I also had graduated to the stage 2 of food in the Bariatric Diet. However, I am now lactose intolerant and most of those foods are creamy soups, etc. Pam, the sweet nurse that she is and I agreed that I should go back to G-2 Gatorade and slowly add things not dairy. I've had to be a little creative. Right now, instant mashed potatoes are my BFF. Oatmeal made w/ water and thinned down with NF yogurt is yummy. (yogurt I have to eat every day and it seems it's the only dairy I can tolerate. Just can't eat much of it.). Since I have done this no more gas bubbles, no more "rocks" in my new tummy and best of all no more throwing up! I know that may be TMI, but since I aspirated and got pneumonia that way I have been TERRIFIED I will do it again. I also quit trying to eat at mealtimes. I eat a little bit at a time when I am hungry. It works out better for me and I feel so much better! I think I have pretty much got the small sips and bites now. ;-). Of course the toddler plates, bowls, and silverware without a doubt help.

I know some of my friends that read this are signed up for surgery or considering it. Don't get discouraged. There WILL be bumps in the road but if you have a positive outlook it makes things so much easier. You're gonna get bored eating the same things. Change it up. Create new flavors. My favorite protein shake is 1 scoop of whey protein, 2-3 oz of NF yogurt, & 8 oz of water. Non fat, sugar free cheesecake pudding mix added to ANYTHING ROCKS. You're gonna get sick of G-2. Especially if you develop thrush. (which is very common). I recommend mixing the flavors, making jello with G-2, or adding a tiny bit of juice, etc. I personally like the "weird" flavors. Ones that you may not normally drink. The blueberry-promegranate & raspberry melon are nice changes when you get sick of the others. When I take my citracell twice a day I mix with orange g-2 Gatorade. I get electrolytes and it tastes a whole lot better than mixed with water.

Keeping a food diary will make or break you. I suggest investing in a nice one. It really makes a difference. I got mine at Barnes and Nobles. I also got a pocket sized restaurant guide also that includes regular foods too. It's amazing what these tools can do to make your life easier. I also made little cheat sheets. Index cards for when we go grocery shopping reminding me what what to eat at what stage, all my vitamins and meds, and the things in the Bariatric "Bible" I'm supposed to remember. This really helps me. Maybe it will work for you, even if you aren't having surgery just seeking a lifestyle change or wanting to loose weight. My favorite favorite did I mention FAVE thing (aside from having the surgery of course) is the app on my iPhone called "My fitness pal". You can access them on the web also at myfitnesspal.com, follow them on twitter or read their blog. I highly recommend it.

I'm loving my new self and I'm trying to make positive changes all the way around. I feel like I've been given this wonderful tool and I want to use it to the fullest extent. In just two short weeks I've had some up and downs, but I feel better than I have in years, my family is happier b/c I'm happier and I hope others can see it too. I know I am extremely lucky to have such wonderful family, friends, and the people at the Bariatric Clinic. I am forever grateful for you guys. This sounds so corny but I had my surgery the day before Thanksgiving. I may have missed that holiday b/c I wasn't able to take part in the celebration with family and friends but every day seems like Thanksgiving now. I have so much to be thankful for.

I'm happy to share my story so far so if you have any questions just ask! I can't wait till I'm well enough to go back to the gym and the support group.
~Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment